We’ve facilitated training days for participant farmers and other interested persons in the community to provide them with the skills and knowledge to carry out their actions in their farm plans or contract in others to help as a collective group.
Training completed to date includes:
- Hand-Held Pesticide application training
- Rhododendron Treatment
- Manual Handling training
- Landowner Ranger training
- Path Maintenance training
We organise talks and events to raise awareness of the local ecology and the nature conservation value of the MacGillycuddy Reeks.
These talks and events are to share information on best practice and are open to all farmers and members of the public. These have included so far:
- Talk on Controlled Burning
- Talk on Rhododendron Treatment with Dr Therese Higgins, Institute of Technology, Tralee
- A practical demonstration event using a “Robocut” – a robot used to cut dense vegetation
We look forward to organizing more events after the Covid-19 emergency.
Schools Awareness Programme
To date, we have visited five national schools in the Reeks area giving informal talks to the children on the habitats and species found in the MacGillycuddy Reeks and the environmental benefits of these peatland habitats. The children also get to see first-hand why moss is so important for good water quality and get to make their bog in a bottle!